July 16, 2009

Poems, Fights, Sexting & Tequila

My sweet son was abducted by aliens and his body is now inhabited by a moody, sneaky, dramatic, depressed, liar. I do hope he returns soon, I miss him.

It all started when the first girlfriend came into the picture. I noticed here and there that he was being dishonest about small things. I would catch him, we would talk about it and he would get grounded or whatever and we would move on.

POEMS
A couple of weeks before school let out, I received a call from the guidance counselor that I needed to come in and speak with him. He sounded quite concerned so I raced into the school to find Andrew in his office. Turns out Andrew was writing in a notebook during class and was caught by the teacher. She took the notebook away from him,placed it on her desk, and went back to teaching the class. At some point she noticed the notebook was gone and upon taking it away from him again (he had snuck up to her desk and took it when she wasn't looking) she decided to read it to see what was so important. Inside she found some very disturbing poetry and song lyrics and turned it over to guidance. The stuff inside the book was definitely all negative. It talked of cutting, burning clothes, drugs, etc... According to Andrew, most of the stuff was song lyrics (which I confirmed with google) and some were poems that he had written when he was angry. The guidance counselor did a suicide test on him and the test came out good. It showed no signs of him being suicidal. I was told to keep an eye on him and to try to get him to open up about whatever it was that was bothering him. Now, I know for a fact that he doesn't cut himself (he walks around in just shorts most of the time) and I am also pretty sure that he's not doing drugs or burning his clothes but this still upset me greatly. I tried talking to him but he wouldn't talk back.
FIGHTS
A few weeks later, I again received a call from the school. This time from a very upset principal that claimed my son "attacked" another student and that I needed to get down there immediately. So, I show up to the school and am taken to the School Resource Officer's office where he proceeds to question my son regarding the incident. What happened was that this other student, *A* had spit in my son's face 2 weeks earlier and then had been suspended from school for 2 weeks for a different incident. My son didn't tell anyone what happened because he figured that *A* was gone for the rest of the year. They let *A* come back for the last day of school, and when my son saw *A*, he said he just flipped and socked him in the jaw. When *A* didn't fight back he walked away instead of trying to continue the fight. The S.R.O. explained that because the spitting incident had happened on another day, my son was being charged with battery. *A*'s parents wanted to press charges. He could have been arrested on the spot and hauled into jail. Fortunately since my son is an honor roll student who had never been in trouble before, the S.R.O. decided that instead of arresting him, he will have to go to Youth Court. On Aug. 3, my son will sit in front of a jury of his peers and go to trial for his crime (OMG Do you know how it feels to type that? Horrible.). The judge is a local attorney that volunteers to do this to keep first time offenders out of jail and without a criminal record. Once my son completes his punishment, all records will be disposed of and his name will be cleared. This opportunity is only given 1 time, and if he messes up again he goes straight to jail without passing go....   
SEXTING
My son does not have a cell phone that he is allowed to carry around with him. He has one in case of emergencies that he is only given when he goes somewhere or stays home alone so that I can contact him. At times, I let him use my cell phone to chat with his friends/girlfriend. One night he was using my phone and as I was getting ready for bed, I sent him a  text message from Keith's phone that it was getting late and he needed to bring my phone to me. He replied back with a real snotty message about how it wasn't a school night and he didn't see what the big deal was. This pissed me off. Tremendously. I went to retrieve my phone from him and he seemed real nervous, like he didn't want me to get my phone back. As I came back into my room and checked out the conversation that he was having, I then knew why. Sexting. On my phone. As if we hadn't had a million talks about this. Needless to say, he's not using my phone anymore!
TEQUILA
4th of July party at my Dad's house. (Also a party for Dad & my sister Kelly's birthday). Keith & I watch as my dad hands Andrew an open beer. We think he's joking around and Keith takes the open beer from him and hands him an un-open one to go put back in the fridge. Dad asks why we won't let him have a beer. "It's a private party and he should be allowed to drink one" says Dad. Keith & I both explain to dad why we don't want him to have a beer (Like we should really have to explain this to a 50 something year old man) and how we don't think it's funny that he even suggested this. A little while later I am informed that standing directly behind me, my dad give my son a shot of tequila.  I am pissed. Are you fucking kidding me? I can't believe that he would seriously do that, (still thought he was joking about the beer because he can be a real ass sometimes) and I am ready to leave. Keith tries talking to Dad about the situation but he won't listen and claims he is trying to get him to "open up" about whatever has been bothering him. Seriously? For real? Let's get the kid drunk so he can open up? I don't friggin think so. (If you can't tell, I am still pissed) Finally, we leave. 12 days later and I still haven't spoken to him (he hasn't tried to contact me)

So, this is the crap that I have been dealing with..... My son is a good kid, that gets good grades in school and will do anything to help out around the house or with his sister. I don't understand what happened all of a sudden to cause such irresponsible behavior. This is why I believe he was abducted by aliens.

Seriously, for those of you that have already raised your teenagers do you have any advice? I don't have any idea what to do other than to lock the kid up in my house and never let him leave again.


blog comments powered by Disqus
Blog Widget by LinkWithin